New Issues Poetry & Prose offers two contests annually. The Green Rose Prize is awarded to an author who has previously published at least one full-length book of poems. The New Issues Poetry Prize, an award for a first book of poems, is chosen by a guest judge. Past judges have included Philip Levine, C.K. Williams, C.D. Wright, and Campbell McGrath.
The press accepts hard copy submissions sent to: New Issues Poetry & Prose, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5463, or electronic submissions through Submittable.
New Issues does not read manuscripts outside of our contests. Graduate students in the Ph.D. and M.F.A. programs of Western Michigan University often volunteer their time reading manuscripts. Finalists are chosen by the editors. New Issues often publishes up to two additional manuscripts selected from the finalists.
Please visit the AWP website for guidelines to submit to the AWP Award Series in the Novel contest.
The 2018 Green Rose Prize
$1,000, publication, and a paid reading at Western Michigan University for a book of poems by an established poet
- Eligibility: Poets writing in English who have already published one or more full-length collections of poetry. We will consider individual collections and volumes of new and selected poems. Besides the winner, New Issues may publish as many as three additional manuscripts from this competition.
- Please include a $30 reading fee. Checks should be made payable to New Issues Press.
- Postmark Deadline: September 30, 2017. The winning manuscript will be named in January 2018 and published in the spring of 2019.
- Will open for submissions in May.
The 2018 New Issues Poetry Prize
$1,000, publication, and a paid reading at Western Michigan University for a first book of poems
- Eligibility: Poets writing in English who have not previously published or self-published a full-length collection (40+ pages) of poems.
- Please include a $25 reading fee. Checks should be made payable to New Issues Press.
- Postmark Deadline: November 30, 2017. The winning manuscript will be named in May 2018 and published in the spring of 2019.
- Will open for submissions in June.
- Submit a manuscript at least 40 pages in length, typed on one side, single-spaced preferred. Photocopies are acceptable. Please do not bind manuscript. Include a brief bio, relevant publication information, cover page with name, address, phone number, and title of the manuscript, and a page with only the title.
- Enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard for notification that the manuscript has been received. For notification of title and author of the winning manuscript enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Manuscripts will be recycled.
- A manuscript may be submitted that is being considered elsewhere but New Issues should be notified upon the manuscript’s acceptance elsewhere.
Send manuscripts and queries to:
The New Issues Poetry Prize
(or) The Green Rose Prize
New Issues Poetry & Prose
Western Michigan University
1903 West Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5463